Author Topic: Crazybob's Points Map  (Read 27015 times)

Offline [MAF]Epoxi

Crazybob's Points Map
« on: October 29, 2012, 06:04:16 pm »
I was on the forum for CrazyBob's Cops 'n' Robbers and saw this awesome map.

High res version: http://www.crazybobs.net/mrx/misc/pointmaps/june25_2011/168h_Combined_3k.gif

And an animated flash version.

http://www.crazybobs.net/mrx/misc/fptv/FlashTrackViewer.html

They are made by tracking players' positions every second and making a plot (I think this one was done over several hours). Blue points are police, white are civilian, orange and yellow points are wanted.

Also, I was thinking if we could extract player coordinates in real time from the server maybe I could record them and make a map of our own in C++.  Then we could see all the popular race routes, and general fun info.  O0
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 06:56:45 pm by [MAF]Epoxi »

Offline [MAF]Karlis

Re: Crazybob's Points Map
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 06:25:12 pm »
looks cool, but technical implementation seems quite hard considering the amount of data.
might be worth a shot though.

Offline [MAF]Rac3r

• Leader
  • Well, this is embarrassing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 06:35:20 pm »
Now that's cool!

Would be good to track our journeys with something like this.

Is that coded exclusively for Crazy Bobs?

looks cool, but technical implementation seems quite hard considering the amount of data.
might be worth a shot though.
True, I'd like to see something done aswell.

I think the main reason we've never had anything like this is because it would just of been the race route, but we do a lot of stunt/tt/dm/buildmode though, it would be useful.

Offline [MAF]Epoxi

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 06:44:24 pm »
For the large amount of data we could make one file per day containing all the data points (just comma separated plain text with "time,X,Y,Z" or something, coordinates could be rounded to the nearest integer to save space).

This data could then be downloaded and the source deleted to save space on the server.

I could then make a C++ app that divides the map into cells and counts the number of data points in each cell. The count for each cell could be then developed into a histogram style map that has different colours depending on the count. i.e. red for 'hot spots' and green for cold like this map:

Also here is a high res version of the CnR points map. http://www.crazybobs.net/mrx/misc/pointmaps/june25_2011/168h_Combined_3k.gif
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 06:59:11 pm by [MAF]Epoxi »

Offline [MAF]Rac3r

• Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 06:59:19 pm »
I can't think of a quick way to get the xyz, file saving isn't exactly ideal for this.

Definitely a start though, we got a few ideas down.

Offline [MAF]Epoxi

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 07:05:46 pm »
Hmm, that sucks. Maybe we could make a client-based .exe that we can ask a really regular player to run which would extract players' coords and produce a log of positions. Though this wouldn't work too well with SA:MP because of the way it takes down the values of distant players' positions really infrequently.

Edit: LOL at blatant disregard of the dirt roads around El Quebrados.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 07:23:28 pm by [MAF]Epoxi »

Offline [MAF]Karlis

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 07:26:20 pm »
ok, thats ~33MB per day, not that bad. i guess it needs some buffer that is offloaded to file from time to time, like 10000entries?

Offline [FSR]Ush

• Admin
  • Aart
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 08:50:51 pm »
OMG SO COOL :D

Offline [MAF]mooman

• Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 05:32:20 am »
ours would probably be a bit more uniform, would be interesting for sure though
will read and answer your forum PMs when I'm less busy!

Offline [FSR]Ush

• Admin
  • Aart
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 08:17:20 am »
I know for sure MadMax will take care of the spots that aren't used enough, with vehicles that aren't used enough :L

Offline [MAF]Karlis

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 09:52:54 am »
lets exclude max or give him another colour then.

Offline [MAF]Epoxi

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 10:16:24 am »
lets exclude max or give him another colour then.

:L

I have made a client-side program that notes down the position of the player at 1 second intervals. The numbers I get out for X and Y are really weird though, I'll have a play with it now to see if I can get it working properly...

LOL Here is an Excel graph of me driving in circles...can you guess where it is?

« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 10:29:00 am by [MAF]Epoxi »

Offline [FSR]Ush

• Admin
  • Aart
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 10:25:20 am »
This map thingy is best for the '1 cp' race aka 'find your own way' races. Would be amazing to check where people usually drive :L

For 'normal' cp to cp races this is less usefull.. unless you really make a distinction in the map, between parts of the road. But I think that is too much.

Offline [MAF]Vertigo

• Admin
  • lol
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2012, 10:55:48 am »
This would be cool, just to analyse. Maybe something could be developed just for one race atm. That could be easily de-bugged n shit right?

Offline [MAF]Rac3r

• Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2012, 12:06:00 pm »
Here is an Excel graph of me driving in circles...can you guess where it is?

LV Airport? :p  I tried to chat and use the values on the graph, but they're not helpful lol

This map thingy is best for the '1 cp' race aka 'find your own way' races. Would be amazing to check where people usually drive :L
That's be cool, a good race to exercise this on.

This would be cool, just to analyse. Maybe something could be developed just for one race atm. That could be easily de-bugged n shit right?
Right, it's really each for us to code for the server, just figuring out the quickest method is the key.