Author Topic: I'm buying a car  (Read 40774 times)

Offline [MAF]MrHess

Re: I'm buying a car
« Reply #120 on: July 03, 2010, 05:17:41 am »
1 thousand pounds? too much? wish I could get a working 1987 hyundai excel with that money here
I would much rather be hated for what I am than loved for something that I'm not

Offline [MAF]Sighmoan

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 03, 2010, 09:51:23 am »
Well you can all have the opinion it is too much, but that's the going rate, and the one I have works and isn't rusty.

Offline [MAF]MrHess

« Reply #122 on: July 03, 2010, 04:23:07 pm »
indeed lol, here for 1000 punds all you can get is a piece of rust with no engine
I would much rather be hated for what I am than loved for something that I'm not

Offline [MAF]Snoopy

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 03, 2010, 04:28:52 pm »
lol

Offline [MAF]Sighmoan

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 04, 2010, 07:46:35 pm »
Anyone here a bit handy with cars?

How do i go about fixing/treating a small patch on rust on the roof? It's only a line about the size of a match, but would love to get it fixed up before winter?

Also, anyone know how to fit a car stereo in a really old car that doesn't have a fancy choc block style plug?

Offline Tommmmmmm

• SnoopyFTW
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 04, 2010, 07:51:48 pm »
hmm, i cant help without pics, maybe someone else can help...
HELLO THERE

Offline [MAF]Epoxi

« Reply #126 on: July 05, 2010, 06:03:49 pm »
It did have a problem, but it got fixed this morning and cost £60. All is well with the machine now.

What happened?

Also £1,000 is the going rate now because of the scrappage scheme: all the old cars have been taken off the market. Supply decreases, raising the price of a working car. 2 years ago you could probably buy this exact car for £250 because there were hundreds more like it around. n fact, the car would have been worth more as scrap (no offence Simon).

As for the rust: grind it back to the bare metal with some really rough sandpaper: remove ALL rust traces. If it's deep you may need a friend with an angle grinder. Prime it and paint it with a couple of coats (rattle can job should be alright because the car isn't exactly in showroom condition anyway :L).

For the stereo, you will have to work out which wire does what and solder a new style plug into the loom (use electrical shrinkwrap around the solder to make sure it doesn't get damaged over time). Shouldn't be very hard, but will probably take a while to do.

Offline [MAF]Sighmoan

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 05, 2010, 07:04:42 pm »
Stereo cables:

I've done some poking about and think:

100% sure the grey one is the aerial (I've traced the wire).
The ones with plugs on the end are the speakers (Do the cross over as maybe they have woofers and tweeters in them, and the tweeters are the ones joined together?).
The black one is connected to the cigarette lighter and i assume is earth.

The red one, since it attached to the ignition, is the ignition one, so where is the power one?

Close up of the where the cables connect:

Does it matter how coarse the sandpaper is that i get, i just want to fix the two posts on the roof:

« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 09:56:05 pm by [UK]SighMoan »

Offline MadMax

• Lazyass, still hanging around AX from time to time
  • Admin
  • I'm the road warrior...
    • View Profile
  • In-game name: MadMax[MAF]
« Reply #128 on: July 05, 2010, 11:50:53 pm »
paper 1500-2000 (water) and some putty, and paint that fit rest painting of the car

PLEASE, IGNORE ALL MY SPELLING MISTAKES AND OTHER TYPOS True racing fans enjoy horsepower in ANY form

Offline [FSR]Ush

• Admin
  • Aart
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 05, 2010, 11:54:13 pm »
make it have blue spots :L

Offline [MAF]Epoxi

« Reply #130 on: July 06, 2010, 08:39:37 pm »
For the filler, use a golf ball of filler to a pea of hardener. Sand down smooth, apply primer, sand down, apply second coat of primer, sand down, apply two coats of paint.

Offline [MAF]Sighmoan

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 02, 2010, 11:20:12 am »
I thought i would give you all an update about what happened last week:

Last Thursday night I got home from a run to see the drivers door was slightly open. I thought that's odd as i definitely shut and locked it.

I get to the van and see that my steering wheel has been sawn through, steering cowling smashed to pieces and the ignition totally smashed out. Absolutely nothing was stolen from the glove box (a usb/cigarette lighter thing and a torch) and nothing in the back.

Stupid sods didn't even look in the back to see that the battery was missing (and the lid was removed so it was easily visible it was missing) as i removed in on Tuesday night to give it a charge (which i was going to do on the weekend).

The police came on Friday evening to finger print it to see if they can find a match on their records, although of course i am not holding my breath.

This morning someone can and fixed it up and drove it over to fix other bits and pieces, so that's another £350 spent on it (it needed £200 of repair solely due to the attempted theft).
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 11:56:42 am by [UK]SighMoan »

Offline [FSR]Ush

• Admin
  • Aart
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 02, 2010, 11:54:22 am »
the world is unfair  :(

Offline [MAF]Aj_Lajk_Bir

• Admin
    • View Profile