Author Topic: Your car...  (Read 170963 times)

Offline nero

Re: Your car...
« Reply #240 on: April 14, 2014, 06:18:02 pm »
Depends a lot on the time. When it's work traffic a.k.a. rush hour, tram might be faster. Early in the morning or late in the evening, car is faster. But mainly I use it in certain situations, for example if you missed the last tram, or the tram can't drive because of a car blocking the tracks and you have a meeting etc.

It's just nice to have this "backup" besides public transportation, without the downsides of owning a car like maintenance, insurance, gas etc.

Offline Tommmmmmm

• SnoopyFTW
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 14, 2014, 06:58:22 pm »
HELLO THERE

Offline [MAF]MrHess

« Reply #242 on: April 14, 2014, 08:13:29 pm »
HUE HUE FANNEY!

yeh, it's car2go, a car sharing company owned by Smart. They offer cars in a lot of big cities (not only in Germany), you can just enter a free one and drive within the city boundaries and pay by minutes. You enter with an electronic card, inside you find the key and unlock it again with a pin. Pretty simple and useful.

I pay around 5 Euros for a drive from work to home, which is about 20 minutes.

Thats a nice idea, but I dont think it could work here, people would find a way to take the security stuff away and steal the car
I would much rather be hated for what I am than loved for something that I'm not

Offline nero

« Reply #243 on: April 14, 2014, 08:27:48 pm »
Don't think it is worth it.

The car can (and is constantly) tracked via mobile phone signal. You need a member card to unlock the car, this unlocking most likely gets logged. Then you need a valid pin to unlock the ignition on a touch screen, which gets logged too. There are a lot things inside the car build for this carsharing usage and there are probably a lot of security measures you still don't know about. Maybe they can lock the car remotely or switch it off. Or other stuff. They danger of being caught is too high of a risk for stealing a quite cheap car. At least in my country.

Offline MadMax

• Lazyass, still hanging around AX from time to time
  • Admin
  • I'm the road warrior...
    • View Profile
  • In-game name: MadMax[MAF]
« Reply #244 on: April 15, 2014, 04:59:57 pm »
Smart may feels tiny and cheap, but isn't THAT cheap as it seems, remember it's Mercedes afterall

how about accidents and car crashes?

PLEASE, IGNORE ALL MY SPELLING MISTAKES AND OTHER TYPOS True racing fans enjoy horsepower in ANY form

Offline nero

« Reply #245 on: April 15, 2014, 05:38:28 pm »
Lol, I wasn't prepared to explain the whole service here  :L

You get basic insurance from the company, although you have a deterrent fee of 500 euro.

If you need more info, visit:
https://www.car2go.com/en/duesseldorf/

Offline [MAF]Epoxi

« Reply #246 on: April 15, 2014, 05:50:55 pm »
Sound like a good idea for your situation, owning a car outright gets expensive and isn't worth it if you aren't going to use it at least 5 days a week.

I am sure it's far too much effort to steal one of those cars, in the UK even un-tracked civilian cars aren't worth stealing these days unless they are worth a lot of money (to offset the cost and effort of changing the vehicle's identity). If you don't want to change the vehicle's identity you still have to ship them to places like Africa where they will sell for considerably less and you will have to pay for shipping (plus you risk getting caught at the shipping dock too).

The only vehicle thefts I have heard of recently are new luxury cars where the thief threatens the owner with a weapon and takes their keys. The car has to be worth a lot of money considering the risks of such a serious crime.

Offline [MAF]MrHess

« Reply #247 on: April 16, 2014, 02:20:47 am »
heh things are so different here, cheap cars get stolen usually to sell them in spare parts or to commit a bigger crime and abandon/switch cars on the run...
I would much rather be hated for what I am than loved for something that I'm not

Offline ...

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: April 16, 2014, 02:38:34 am »
I am sure it's far too much effort to steal one of those cars, in the UK even un-tracked civilian cars aren't worth stealing these days unless they are worth a lot of money (to offset the cost and effort of changing the vehicle's identity). If you don't want to change the vehicle's identity you still have to ship them to places like Africa where they will sell for considerably less and you will have to pay for shipping (plus you risk getting caught at the shipping dock too).

Well you can still sell the parts, but are you sure cars are cheaper in Africa? In France it's very common that used cars of low value are bought by people who just export them to African countries (Ivory Coast, Madagascar, Cameroon...). Some friends who only recently came to France from Africa told me many cars can be sold 3 times as much over there.
But it may be nuanced a bit by the difference of price between cars in UK and France too, they're a bit more expensive in France. And I don't know how frequently they check cars when shipped, but I once used the ferry from Dover to France with a car, they didn't check anything, not the driver's licence, not any papers, not even took a quick look if something strange could be in the trunk. Just a piece of ID for the ticket as far as I remember.
Renault Twingo (a small quite shitty and cheap car for those of you who don't know it) was for years the most stolen car in France. I think recently the BMW X6 took it over. So I think it probably can still be worth stealing a cheap car.

But back to the "public" car topic, yeah I think it can be convenient for some people. We have it in some places in France, it's been around for a few years, but I don't know how it works (I think you need to pay for a membership) and I'm not interested in using them. They're a bit ugly but who cares, it's not bad that way because they attract a bit of attention and maybe encourage people to look into that alternative. And I think they're all 4 seats.
Here's a pic:

Offline [MAF]Epoxi

« Reply #249 on: April 16, 2014, 07:03:49 pm »
Ugly doesn't matter when the alternative is riding the bus.  :L

You are right, you can still make a little bit of money stripping cars for parts, but even then car parts distribution companies have become so efficient it can be just as cheap (and much faster) to buy new parts. That said, I think a lot of the decline in car crime is to do with the immobiliser, even the cheapest car can't be stolen without the keys (or key-hacking software in the case of BMW!).

Offline PoRReTa

• Why am i so pro?
    • View Profile
  • In-game name: PoRReTa
« Reply #250 on: April 16, 2014, 08:12:21 pm »
My car is Gol G3 1.0, those pictures isnt of my car, but is of same model

Offline MadMax

• Lazyass, still hanging around AX from time to time
  • Admin
  • I'm the road warrior...
    • View Profile
  • In-game name: MadMax[MAF]
« Reply #251 on: April 16, 2014, 11:05:01 pm »
ye VW Gol, often mistaken with Golf here
even tho both cars got nothing really common to each other

PLEASE, IGNORE ALL MY SPELLING MISTAKES AND OTHER TYPOS True racing fans enjoy horsepower in ANY form

Offline [MAF]MrHess

« Reply #252 on: April 17, 2014, 05:11:27 am »
exactly, golf is the one to have XD

Offline Epicnawb

« Reply #253 on: April 17, 2014, 09:32:38 am »
Interior of my volvo.

| Be Quiet Dark Base 700 | Ryzen 5 3600x | RTX 3070 |

Offline [MAF]Cromiell

« Reply #254 on: April 18, 2014, 11:08:14 am »
New baby arrived today. Wheels suck tho, to be replaced.