Author Topic: Fiat Tipo - First Impressions Review  (Read 3628 times)

Offline MadMax

• Lazyass, still hanging around AX from time to time
  • Admin
  • I'm the road warrior...
    • View Profile
  • In-game name: MadMax[MAF]
Fiat Tipo - First Impressions Review
« on: May 20, 2016, 06:39:08 pm »
While I'm still looking for a car for myself, my family decided to get new car.

Alfer lot of adventures with 2nd hand used VAG cars, we decided to get something else.
The choise was really hard, but finally decided to give a try and take saloon, factory new Fiat Tipo from current year productions.

Not often have chance to deal with factory new car, so here I gonna write my impressions and feelings about it. Also notes and important messages.

NOTE: this is not my car. It belongs to my mom, but untill I get new car, I can drive it anyway.

So here we go!

1. Why Fiat, why model Tipo?
Mom doesn't drive a lot, often in city and around it. From time to time going to other family members around 250 km away.
Aften having lot of adventures with 'old junk on wheels' she got fed up and wanted totoally new car.
We were looking for one for almost year, considering many options and models.
After summing all factors (service costs, comfort, price-to-product rate and so on, she decided on Fiat Punto.
Very important factor is that we have FIAT dealership and service in our town. ANY other brand dealership and service station is at least 50-60 km away.
After few visits in FIAT dealership, she was almost sure. But then for nearly same price as Punto, came brand new Tipo model. Nice looking compact sedan took her attention, and finally taken it instead Punto. Choice was simple. Same price to Punto, but more, new and better Tipo.

2. Few words about Tipo.
New Fiat Tipo, is in fact production model of concept sedan 'Aegea'. However, Fiat decided to re-name car on European market, and Aegea here is named Tipo. Reffering to small, very realible and popular compact town car from 80s-90s decade.

It's a compact sized born-to-be-sedan town car. Car is 4.5 M long, 1.8 M Wide and 1.5 M tall. Small 1.4L engine rated at 95 horses and 127 Nm torque is far enough to city, and seldom longer trips. Offering well-known engine and no excessive amount of new technology. Engine is connected with 6-speed manual transmission that put power to front axle. Nothing extraordinary - and thats what we wanted.
3 Years  warranty for car components and 8 years for bodywork rust free. We will see. Engine is well-known to taking LPG instalations very well. After loosing warranty, we plan to put LPG systems, so this was proper choice, unlike modern, small turbo engines.
Car feels big but is very lightweight. No more than 1200 kg with all fluids ready to go!

Unlike many other european compacts, Tipo shares strong resemblance and DODGE-like feelings. It is pretty much eyecatchy for such car. But that isnt something new, since FIAT-CHRYSLER are now connected.

Car got lot of free space, rather high ground clearance and 520 L trunk capacity.
With my height of 177 cm, I could easly sit as driver, passenger or anyone on back seats. Even 2m tall people would still feel fine. Lot of space for legs and rather comfortable, soft suspension.

3. Test drive - the first impressions!
After years of driving small 80s-90s cars, modern ones feels huge. So this is.
But after few minutes You can get used to it. Still have to realise it's size. But can live with it.
Driver seat is able to be risen or dropped. That was important for my mom, she is very short, and many modern cars were too huge for her to sit comfortable and have good sight onto the road.
Steering wheel offers option like 'CITY POWER STRREING' that is supposed to help to turn all around in city, and it really works well. Car becomes extremally sensitive, but after certain speed (35-40 kmh) function turns off itself. It would be too touchy to drive on road with that.
Engine offers 95 horses and 127 Nm torque. Thats not much, but mostly town cars have around 70 horses, so this is far enough.
Car is able to perform proper overtaking, however caution must be taken when passing more that 2 trucks in row.
Acceleration 0-100 is average. Producer says 11.5 sec. I managed to do 12.3. I'm not used to it, and all these factors like Traction Control or manual gearshifts made me fail to meet requirements. Test driver who was assisting us, did 11.7 so I belive someone can do as producer says. Car feels to have underpowered engine, but really seems enough. It aint no sport car, so no sense to talk about performance.
Factory top speed is said 187 km/h, we maxed to 130 km/h on nearby highway.
You can set speed limits on your own, and after you pass your limit, car informs you.
Car got standard manual AC systems. Never had that in Alfa and not really using it in any other cars. Well, we will see what happens in very hot summer days, or cold winter nights.
Very good caraudio and advanced control panel in steering wheel. Intuitional interface and really small amount of high-tech stuff.
Even hood is hold on old-fashioned hook and rod, instead hydraulic lifters.
Front windowns and mirrors are electric, rear windows open in old fashioned manual lever way.

6 airbags, ABS and other Traction Control systems + very sharp brakes. This was something new for me, but it is standard for every todays car.

Interior quallity is comparable with other such cars. Expected really bad plastics, but they are nice in touch and do not cause any noises. Car is very well silenced, but when You step on pedal, hear nice roar. Pretty nice for 1.4L NA engine.

MY OVERAL RATE 8/10 SO FAR
Really great car for it's cheap price. Offers a lot, and costs not as much as comparable ones. One of last not-so-much high-tech cars, so if You want probaly last old-fashioned city cars, this is Your choice. Rather cheap spare parts and service costs.

Don't You see this Tipo to be a bit like my Alfa, if moved to moder-day?

SORRY FOR MEEEH PICTURES, BAD WEATHER CONDITIONS

If You got any question or things You want to know, don't be affraid to ask.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 07:15:11 pm by MadMax »

PLEASE, IGNORE ALL MY SPELLING MISTAKES AND OTHER TYPOS True racing fans enjoy horsepower in ANY form

Offline [MAF]Snoopy

• View Profile
Re: Fiat Tipo - First Impressions Review
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 08:08:51 pm »

Offline [MAF]Epoxi

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 08:46:43 pm »
I drove a Dodge Dart the other day it was an automatic ( >:() with the 2.0 160hp engine:

Pros
- Excellent ride quality and comfortable cabin, I drove for 400 miles and did not feel anything
- Good visibility compared to most of today's cars
- Not slow
- Nice steering wheel and controls
- Attractive styling compared to other small 4 door cars

Cons
- The interior quality gets much cheaper the lower down you look
- Noisy harsh engine when you push it
- Sloppy handling (could be to do with being automatic though)
- Some poor finish, like the door had sharp unsmoothed welds you could catch your hand on as you opened the door
- Poor specification, basics like 3.5mm jack were deliberately missing, most cars have these things as standard as they cost nothing extra

Offline MadMax

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 08:50:35 pm »
3.5 mm jack means this?

If so, this Tipo got it.

PLEASE, IGNORE ALL MY SPELLING MISTAKES AND OTHER TYPOS True racing fans enjoy horsepower in ANY form

Offline [MAF]Epoxi

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 09:29:27 pm »
Yes, and it was replaced with an ugly blank plate like this:

I hate things in cars that remind you "lol you didn't buy this option!"

Edit: I don't think the blank plate was in the centre console like that Tipo, it was in the storage under the armrest (in the Dart there is just a 12v socket sitting in the centre like below)

The above picture shows how cheap and '90s the plastic is in the lower portion of the interior. I'm glad it was black and not the cream interior. :L

That said, the dials did have a nice solid feel to them.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 10:30:14 pm by [MAF]Epoxi »

Offline MadMax

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2016, 11:28:38 pm »
Size compare Alfa 33 vs new Tipo:

Alfa looks like someone fuckedup scaling

Offline [LSR]Jalicno

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2016, 11:11:57 am »
fuck the police  :L

Offline [MAF]Epoxi

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2016, 09:13:25 pm »
Size compare Alfa 33 vs new Tipo:

Alfa looks like someone fuckedup scaling

Haha yeah, all cars today are so bloated. Of course it's better for safety but I'm surprised people haven't figured out how to shrink them back down again without compromising strength.