Author Topic: Lagging with an over qualified PC  (Read 4739 times)

Offline Skizion

• Keyboard warrior.
    • View Profile
  • In-game name: skizion
Lagging with an over qualified PC
« on: February 21, 2016, 09:57:31 am »
First before you spam this topic about "did you try this" I'm going to leave this list here..

• Uninstalling Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas and reinstalling it.
  • Changing the directory of Grand Theft Auto.
  • Deleted samp.cfg(whatever it's called).
  • Played without any mods.
  • Downgraded from Windows 10 to Windows 7.
  • Ran in mutliple compatibility modes.
  • Changed many graphic options in game.
  • Tried a different GTA SA.exe file.
  • Uninstalled and reinstalled DirectX 9.
  • Added DirectX related files to the San Andreas folder.
  • Ran the game in the same resolution as Windows is running in.

When I enter a certain zone with a lot of players, my game starts to lag. Before you go on and call it usual, it started after I "refreshed" my Windows 10 OS. I did it because it was getting a bit sluggish, and I backed up my game. Then I started experiencing lag.

Specs:

• Custom Built: Yes
  • Desktop
  • EVGA GTX 980 @4GB
  • AMD FX™- 8350 @4.0 GHz
  • MSI Gaming 970
  • 16 GB of RAM
  • EVGA SuperNova G2 @850W
  • Windows 7 @64 Bit
  • CPU Cooler - Stock
  • GPU Cooler - Stock
  • iBUYPOWER Case
  • 2 Fas
  • 1 HDD @464 GB
  • Computer is barely 8 months old

As you can see there is no specification lag, especially when I can run GTA V on ultra at 50 FPS. Also, the server I play is death-match, and whenever we have an interior fight such as Big Smoke, my ShadowPlay FPS tells me I'm playing at 60 FPS, but it's laggy and stutters and it feels like I'm playing at 20 FPS. Thanks for the help for anyone who posts.

I wasn't experiencing any of these problems before I reset my computer...

Offline Terrorfist

Re: Lagging with an over qualified PC
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 11:02:00 am »
I couldn't expect more from a horribly-optimized game.
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
GIGABYTE GA-P35-S3L
6GB DDR2 RAM
GeForce GT 730 1GB GDDR5 64-bit
Seagate Barracuda 250GB + Western Digital 320GB
Astone Enforcer Mid Tower Chassis

Offline [MAF]Cthulhu

• Admin
  • Trance, Progressive, Techno <3
    • View Profile
  • In-game name: [MAF]Phobos
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 12:07:39 pm »
try reinstalling your gpu drivers, there's a great guide how to first completely unistall your current ones here: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/faq/id-2284749/completely-uninstall-amd-nvidia-gpu-drivers.html

Offline Troublemaker

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 12:48:15 pm »
Maybe it's not related to your PC, maybe you have a sucky internet? Maybe the server is located in Europe and I guess you're from USA, so a long distance raises your ping and makes you lag.

Offline Skizion

• Keyboard warrior.
    • View Profile
  • In-game name: skizion
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 04:20:57 pm »
Maybe it's not related to your PC, maybe you have a sucky internet? Maybe the server is located in Europe and I guess you're from USA, so a long distance raises your ping and makes you lag.
This is FPS lag, not internet lag.

Offline 3DSexVilla

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 10:48:09 pm »
install SA in the same partition of the SO

Offline [LSR]Jalicno

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2016, 11:16:39 pm »
Not sure who suggested you to downgrade operating system from Windows 10 to 7 cause certainly newer version is better coded(optimized) to great hardware what you have it especially in games.

For example even on older hardware Dual core CPU, 4GB ram and video card with DirectX support 10.1, Windows 10 goes perfect with decent FPS what wasnt experienced in Windows 8.1, tested on couple machines already.

If you have it 60 FPS with yours hardware in game which was released back to 2005 i am sure something is wrongly set in your drivers or even in Windows settings(check in Task Manager Processor affinity - 8 cores) cause your FPS should be stuck on 100 like 90% of time .

Make sure to install all necessary drivers, you are free to try DriverBooster for example

Offline nero

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 08:45:20 am »
Also, maybe try running the game with every optional program like Shadow Play switched off and killing all running processes which aren't neccessary. For example updaters and stuff like that. Just to make sure it's not some incompability. Remember the game is old and as someone already said it is horribly coded in some parts, which might cause compability issues with heavily optimized software of today.

You could also run the task manager while playing the game and monitor the ressource usage. You get graphs for each component (GPU, CPU, RAM) and could watch for peaks to find out exactly, which component causes the lags or is the bottleneck.

Remember, a peak in usage (causing lag) doesn't always mean the component is to weak, it might also mean the game itself is spamming it with unneccessary tasks which causes an overload.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 08:48:03 am by nero »

Offline [LSR]Jalicno

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2016, 11:43:10 pm »
Yes Svchost.exe - Windows Update often hogging CPU and memory resources if Update Agent isn't updated to latest version especially on Windows 7 since Windows 10 option came as upgrade - Which can result FPS drop and generally any game lag cause no resurce is left or free...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/949104