Author Topic: time to upgrade my pc - need your advices  (Read 3688 times)

Offline b00tsyou

• Admin
    • View Profile
time to upgrade my pc - need your advices
« on: April 28, 2015, 08:06:07 pm »
Yo,

i bought GTAV and it s clear, my PC is not a the level expected...

i think it s time for me to boost it a bit but i dont know what to do...

here is my config

motherboard : Asus M5 A 97 PRO
CPU : AMD phenom II X4 965 3.40Ghz
GPU : AMD radeon HD 6850 (1GB)
RAM 8GB corsair DDR3 

i guess   my GPU is the weak point and i read my motherboard has 2 slots for 2 GPUs???
what would you do? by another GPU? which one ?
a good one to take place of the 6850?

another one to add on the 2nd slot? is there something to know/do to do this (is there a slave GPU and a master GPU?) or just need to plug and play?

about the CPU : seems it can be easily overclocked...
would you do that? is it needed?

just for you info, i have an industrial fan for the CPU and a big power suppli so it should be a problem

thank for your help, any advice would be appreciated a lot  ;) 

Offline 3DSexVilla

Re: time to upgrade my pc - need your advices
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 08:28:24 pm »
the crossfire works only with videocards of same family. With two HD 6850 you can get 2976GFlops of performance, currently it's very weak to run the games at 720p and 60fps. Then i recommend you to buy a nvidia of last generation, it will take long time of use.

useful website for you
gpuboss.com

Offline [MAF]Karlis

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 08:32:33 pm »
the cpu is really weak too, i'd suggest updating everything. and don't bother with dual gpu's, unless you're going high end its more trouble than it's worth.
the parts depend on how much are you willing to spend.

Offline Terrorfist

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 11:10:59 pm »
the crossfire works only with videocards of same family. With two HD 6850 you can get 2976GFlops of performance, currently it's very weak to run the games at 720p and 60fps. Then i recommend you to buy a nvidia of last generation, it will take long time of use.

useful website for you
gpuboss.com

Not really. You can crossfire a 6850 with a 6870 and same with other previous family.

You can donate that PC to me now  :L
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
GIGABYTE GA-P35-S3L
6GB DDR2 RAM
GeForce GT 730 1GB GDDR5 64-bit
Seagate Barracuda 250GB + Western Digital 320GB
Astone Enforcer Mid Tower Chassis

Offline Scorpion.

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 07:12:43 am »
yo boots i assembled this pc for only 400€ without hdd

my cpu is a fx 4300 unlocked 4,0ghz 4cores but i raccomented a fx 8370 is 8 core 4ghz for a better experience , in a future i'll replace my fx 4300 with that.
for a gpu i have a gigabyte r7 260x 2gb Gddr5 ,thisone http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4797#ov.
motherboard ASRock 980DE3/U3S3 but crossfire not supported and 8gb ram

i play gta V with texture and other stuffs in high but locked my framerate at 30 fps , i prefered to lock it becouse  was pretty unstable, fps oscillating between 35-50 and sometimes like in house and desert like 60-70

this configurations is pretty a cheap ones

sorry for the bad englando :D
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 07:15:07 am by Scorpion. »

Offline [MAF]Karlis

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 07:57:21 am »
no offence, bot you should refrain from posting, if you have very little knowledge about what you are suggesting.
as i said, crossfire brings more trouble than it is worth, if you have an old gpu. the performance isn't consistent, you get stuttering frames (proper term is frame variance), and getting another GPU to match (you can pair different gpus too, but that will stutter even more) can prove difficult.
and that fx 4300 is pretty much on one level with the phenom, and not a thing you'd want to run gta v in.

Take a price point you are comfortable with, and pick a part:
Best Graphics Cards For The Money: April 2015
Best Gaming CPUs For The Money: April 2015
(Consider, that those ratings are based on prices in USA, you might find better deals)

Here are some GTA V performance graphs on what to expect:
Notice how low AMD CPUs are in CPU performance

GPU performance on high graphics

On Medium graphics

« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 08:07:46 am by [MAF]Karlis »

Offline Krissi

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2015, 12:50:48 pm »
I almost had the same components as you do right now, so I upgraded two years ago since those parts are pretty old. You can't buy a great gaming pc unless you're pretty high on budget. Get an decent quad core Intel CPU(I have the 4670k) and it more than enough for the games I play, including GTA V in that case. You should spend more money on a GPU, if your not into overclocking you can get a non-k cpu with an locked multiplier. Doesen't really matter which brand it is, nVidia or AMD. Crossfire or SLI isn't really worth it if you're not "that" into gaming since the other card only gives you about 50% performance increase, which most people wont even notice. If you just blow a little more money than you should on a decent rig its going to last for years to come.

P.s Just listen to Karlis, the graphs he posted are a good way to find something in the performance rates.
I5 4670k @ 3,4| GA-Z87X-D3H| 8Gb DDR3 | Asus Gtx 770 |1TB HDD |64 GB Crucial M4| CM 720W| CM 690

Offline [FSR]Ush

• Admin
  • Aart
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2015, 09:15:44 pm »
I always appreciated Karlis' input into building a pc!

Offline [MAF]Epoxi

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2015, 05:50:01 pm »
My PC is

i5-4570
8GB RAM
128GB SSD
2TB HDD
---------
£500 in 2014 (€684)

MSI GTX970
---------
£250 in 2015 (€342)

If can't comment on the wider market, but my PC starts in less than 15 seconds, plays GTA V at 74fps (nearly max settings) and I haven't had a problem throwing anything at it. I can highly recommend it if you have such a budget.

I would definitely buy an SSD in general because they save you so much time, there are much more powerful PCs than mine which are slower because they run programs from an HDD.