Author Topic: Jitter. What is it?  (Read 2289 times)

Offline Terrorfist

Jitter. What is it?
« on: November 20, 2014, 01:12:22 am »
You've heard "WTF LAGGER" with a reply "My ping is normal its 50ms and doesn't go higher". Is it really all about Ping? Right? No, It's not.

What is jitter?

In the context of computer networks, jitter is the variation in latency as measured in the variability over time of the packet latency across a network. A network with constant latency has no variation (or jitter).[3] Packet jitter is expressed as an average of the deviation from the network mean latency. However, for this use, the term is imprecise. The standards-based term is "packet delay variation" (PDV).[4] PDV is an important quality of service factor in assessment of network performance.

Since we all understand ping, jitter should also make sense. Jitter is merely the variance in measuring successive ping tests. Zero jitter means the results were exactly the same every time, and anything above zero is the amount by which they varied. Like the other quality measurements, a lower jitter value is better. And while some jitter should be expected over the Internet, having it be a small fraction of the ping result is ideal.
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
GIGABYTE GA-P35-S3L
6GB DDR2 RAM
GeForce GT 730 1GB GDDR5 64-bit
Seagate Barracuda 250GB + Western Digital 320GB
Astone Enforcer Mid Tower Chassis

Offline Troublemaker

Re: Jitter. What is it?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 10:14:59 am »
It's not completely clear for me, I'll have to study this jitter.

Offline [MAF]Vertigo

• Admin
  • lol
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 12:48:19 pm »
Is this the same and ping/lag spikes?

Offline [MAF]Karlis

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 01:22:39 pm »
it is the difference between your maximum ping and minimum ping in a short amount of time (the exact measurement is too complicated to be simply described). Basically, if your jitter is 10ms, then your ping will change by 10ms repeatedly, and that will cause your car to jump back and forth.

Offline [MAF]mooman

• Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 06:05:33 pm »

The average ping for medium should probably be a bit lower but I'm too lazy to fix it now.
will read and answer your forum PMs when I'm less busy!

Offline 3DSexVilla

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 06:13:25 pm »

The average ping for medium should probably be a bit lower but I'm too lazy to fix it now.

my internet is the second, high ping with low jitter.