Author Topic: Question about Windows and Linux  (Read 2776 times)

Offline 3DSexVilla

Question about Windows and Linux
« on: September 24, 2014, 11:55:34 am »
If i install Windows and Linux on the same PC, does it affects the HDD of the Windows?

Example:

If i download a virus using Linux in which works on Windows, can the virus go to Windows HDD?

Offline Terrorfist

Re: Question about Windows and Linux
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 12:23:08 pm »
It won't hurt to have Linux and Windows at one computer (Requires Drive Partitioning)

But I don't know about the virus  :-\
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
GIGABYTE GA-P35-S3L
6GB DDR2 RAM
GeForce GT 730 1GB GDDR5 64-bit
Seagate Barracuda 250GB + Western Digital 320GB
Astone Enforcer Mid Tower Chassis

Offline [MAF]Karlis

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 01:23:39 pm »
viruses are made to work with different OS'es, and linux is practically virus-free.
this, in fact, is one of the best schemes of how to bring broken OS back to life - boot the other OS.
however, to make it hassle-free, you need to install them in different paritions and linux must be installed last, because windows bootloader wouldn't find it, while linux (newer ones preferred) can find windows.

Offline 3DSexVilla

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 07:18:52 pm »
viruses are made to work with different OS'es, and linux is practically virus-free.
this, in fact, is one of the best schemes of how to bring broken OS back to life - boot the other OS.
however, to make it hassle-free, you need to install them in different paritions and linux must be installed last, because windows bootloader wouldn't find it, while linux (newer ones preferred) can find windows.

thank you!

Offline 3DSexVilla

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 08:56:49 pm »
can find windows but can't give files to there, right?

Offline Krissi

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 09:02:13 pm »
If there are two diffrent partisions, no the files won't mix up.
I5 4670k @ 3,4| GA-Z87X-D3H| 8Gb DDR3 | Asus Gtx 770 |1TB HDD |64 GB Crucial M4| CM 720W| CM 690

Offline 3DSexVilla

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 09:20:57 pm »
If there are two diffrent partisions, no the files won't mix up.

hmm, my idea is i have two SOs, Windows only for games and Linux for Internet. This way i won't get virus forever.

Offline [LSR]Jalicno

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 09:32:17 pm »
You cant install Windows and Linux on same partition due table difference (by default)
Linux often ask for ext3/4 and windows7/8 for ntfs

So you should prepare patitions back up/format etc (two or more) before you even try install both system

edit:

If you need Linux only for internet you can try some live Ubunty(DVD)

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/try-ubuntu-before-you-install
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 09:35:31 pm by [LSR]Jalicno »

Offline [MAF]Epoxi

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 09:35:13 pm »
Even if you dual-boot you are not immune to viruses spreading from the Windows partition to the Linux one. For instance, the ILOVEYOU virus would attack files indiscriminately, and could attack files on your Linux partition even though you are running from the Windows partition.

The worm then searched connected drives and replaced files with extensions JPG, JPEG, VBS, VBE, JS, JSE, CSS, WSH, SCT, DOC, HTA, MP2, and MP3 with copies of itself, while appending the additional file extension VBS,making the user's computer unbootable. However, the MP3 and sound related files are hidden and not overwritten.

While running Linux is one of the best ways to avoid viruses, the only true way to avoid viruses is to approach any file you download with extreme caution and suspicion. Take regular backups to a separate drive.