Author Topic: Uitblinker's shortlist of improvements  (Read 3639 times)

Offline Uitblinker

Uitblinker's shortlist of improvements
« on: December 31, 2013, 02:11:52 pm »
I'd like to suggest some small improvements for both the server and website. Basically these are my main suggestions (I have some other small suggestions but they are not that important to write them down).

Server
- Timer: "XX until the next race starts" is a bit misleading. I got used to it now but as a new player I truly believed that I had 12 seconds until the race would end but in fact I only had 2 seconds left to finish. I'd like to suggest to decrease the timer by 10 seconds so it represents the time you still have left to finish the current race.

- Money: two things about money, the properties of it and the rewarding. Honestly money does not have a special feature or value now. We can bank it, /duel and buy wheels with it and that's it. Wouldn't it be fun if money has more uses? Currently earning money is closely related to score.  Basically the higher score you get when racing, the higher the amount of money you receive. What if money rewards from races are a bit higher and you'll lose money when hitting lamp posts? Or you lose money when flipping your vehicle, using the commands /fix or /newcar? This way money does not represent velocity or high race positions anymore, but rather precision and the effectiveness of racing without the help of repairing your vehicle or spawning a new one. This also increases the ways of spending money because currently that is kind of limited.

- Duelling: whenever players duel with each other, they should not be placed in each others group when a race divides the racers into groups of 4 for instance. What I mean is that players that duel with each other ONLY race together in so-called "one-world races".

- Voting: Voting is fun but I have a feeling that it's more a contest of which race has the coolest name and not the one that is truly the most interesting one. It's really a good improvement that since a while it shows which one you liked or disliked in the past, but I think it's not enough yet. Wouldn't it be more fair if the voting list gives more information about the race than just the name and eventually if you liked or disliked it in the past? What if behind each name in the voting list, information about the car, length and "type" would've been showed?

Website/forums
- Forums: add a shoutbox, that's a brief and easy way to communicate with forum users;

- Forums: create a special forum for events & tournaments. This might also encourage others to set-up events which could positively contribute to community building;

- Website: add a tab "clans" next to "Players" or "Tools" (idk) which shows a list of the current (active) clans. Clicking on them would view a clans
homepage with some nice statistics (like average position, score), information about the members, leader(s), requirements to join and an "apply" button

Other
For me there's relatively much unknown about the clan system on this server. Is it just about adding a tag to your name or does it mean more? I'd like to suggest an improved clan system in which there not only is a special tab on the website, but also the existence of clan duels in-game and a clan chat. Maybe this is more applicable to RP servers and not so much related to AX but somehow. I'd just like to see a more comprehensive system that the current one.

Offline [MAF]Karlis

Re: Uitblinker's shortlist of improvements
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 02:54:11 pm »
- Timer: "XX until the next race starts" is a bit misleading. I got used to it now but as a new player I truly believed that I had 12 seconds until the race would end but in fact I only had 2 seconds left to finish. I'd like to suggest to decrease the timer by 10 seconds so it represents the time you still have left to finish the current race.
I agree, will happen soon.
- Money: two things about money, the properties of it and the rewarding. Honestly money does not have a special feature or value now. We can bank it, /duel and buy wheels with it and that's it. Wouldn't it be fun if money has more uses? Currently earning money is closely related to score.  Basically the higher score you get when racing, the higher the amount of money you receive. What if money rewards from races are a bit higher and you'll lose money when hitting lamp posts? Or you lose money when flipping your vehicle, using the commands /fix or /newcar? This way money does not represent velocity or high race positions anymore, but rather precision and the effectiveness of racing without the help of repairing your vehicle or spawning a new one. This also increases the ways of spending money because currently that is kind of limited.
We have already acknowledged this issue, and some things are meant to improve it. The rim system with dynamic pricing is one of them. I'm sure that we will get controversial opinions about taxing the helping commands, but it might be implemented eventually.
- Duelling: whenever players duel with each other, they should not be placed in each others group when a race divides the racers into groups of 4 for instance. What I mean is that players that duel with each other ONLY race together in so-called "one-world races".
This adds to the complexity of the grid sorter, but there are other things to be improved there, so might do this as well.
- Voting: Voting is fun but I have a feeling that it's more a contest of which race has the coolest name and not the one that is truly the most interesting one. It's really a good improvement that since a while it shows which one you liked or disliked in the past, but I think it's not enough yet. Wouldn't it be more fair if the voting list gives more information about the race than just the name and eventually if you liked or disliked it in the past? What if behind each name in the voting list, information about the car, length and "type" would've been showed?
I support this, but some people said it would be really bad. Another issue is that we could no longer use the default gta menus, since they are width limited. Perhaps number keys with textdraws, crazy bob's style.
- Forums: add a shoutbox, that's a brief and easy way to communicate with forum users;
I have a bad feeling it will be spammed beyond usefulness.
- Forums: create a special forum for events & tournaments. This might also encourage others to set-up events which could positively contribute to community building;
We are creating a special forum for each event, and, if someone is feeling discouraged by not having a default sub forums, they most likely are not able to organize it anyway. However, this is a good opportunity to tell that we're open to ideas about any events.
- Website: add a tab "clans" next to "Players" or "Tools" (idk) which shows a list of the current (active) clans. Clicking on them would view a clans
homepage with some nice statistics (like average position, score), information about the members, leader(s), requirements to join and an "apply" button
mooman is working on it.
For me there's relatively much unknown about the clan system on this server. Is it just about adding a tag to your name or does it mean more? I'd like to suggest an improved clan system in which there not only is a special tab on the website, but also the existence of clan duels in-game and a clan chat. Maybe this is more applicable to RP servers and not so much related to AX but somehow. I'd just like to see a more comprehensive system that the current one.
It would be great, but, complex as well, therefore it would take a lot of effort to make it.
Clan can make their own group chat, or as many as they like to.
Multi-group chats with more advanced options is on to-do list, but not sure when will we start making it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 02:57:32 pm by [MAF]Karlis »

Offline Troublemaker

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 03:17:01 pm »

I have a bad feeling it will be spammed beyond usefulness.

You can just add message limit on shoutbox, like how many messages you can send per second or minute, that would automatically disallow spam.

Yeah, there's already a group (clan) chat in game, You need to type /joingroup (groups name) and then you will be able to chat with other members in the group via /g.

Your suggestions are all good Blinker  O0

Offline [MAF]Karlis

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 03:37:26 pm »
Message limit in the shoutbox would do nothing towards message quality. I just feel that chat, that is designed to be effortless to use, will be used effortlessly, resulting in 100 hi's and lol's and only a couple of useful messages. We have forums, irc, ingame and mumble to talk already.
But if we end up needing another chat, an embedded irc client would be far better, imo.

Offline Troublemaker

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 03:43:26 pm »
Shoutbox will be useful for regular players to call an admin when he's needed on the server.

Offline [MAF]mooman

• Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 08:18:59 pm »
Shoutbox will be useful for regular players to call an admin when he's needed on the server.
I am subscribed to the hacker report topic so I get an email every time someone replies to it. That is pretty much the best solution, IMO.

Regarding the other suggestions, my opinions are similar enough to Karlis'.
will read and answer your forum PMs when I'm less busy!

Offline BorderLine

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 02:24:18 pm »
We don't need a shoutbox. Can you fit the whole screenshot proof in it?
If you read this you suck.

Offline Mute.

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 07:05:32 am »

solution to this for me would be to remove /like and /dislike, and replace it with /rate 1-10, then the average rating and your personal rating could be displayed next to the race in the votes, example "Mute's beast race (9) (10)" (9 being the average rating and 10 being my personal rating) is how it would appear in the votes. obviously this would be kinda weird to change 'cause of how long /like and /dislike has been around but if you changed it so /like was equivalent to a /rate 7 and /dislike equivalent to a /rate 3, that would make the huge change a bit easier to get used to.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 07:09:36 am by Mute. »

Offline [MAF]mooman

• Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 07:08:48 am »
People tend to only rate things as best or worst anyway. It's why YouTube doesn't use stars for ratings any more.

Offline Mute.

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2014, 07:10:43 am »
true, so you could have the percentage next to the race, eg Mute's beast race (95% L)

also adding the race type too, like (tt) (1w) etc. if you feel that everyone would vote for a certain type of race, well that already happens now with SKs and IVs so it's nothing new.

Offline [MAF]mooman

• Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2014, 07:13:06 am »
We're working on something similar to that but it might take a while due to the amount of things that will have to be changed.

Offline Mute.

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 07:14:51 am »
woo alright

Offline [MAF]mooman

• Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2014, 03:15:10 pm »
Server
done