Author Topic: what's the actual purpose of one world-group races?  (Read 6048 times)

Offline username

• View Profile
what's the actual purpose of one world-group races?
« on: November 15, 2013, 06:14:10 am »
every pro player and admins are complaining about rammers, rams at the start of the races, blocks... they always warn or punish ramming players.
as far as i've observed, more than half of the races are being in single private map (players don't race together). no one has ramming issue on those races at all; but on the one world-group races, it's very likely.

so what would you say about the question on title?

i personally think that driving skills and experience are key factors on single map races, but ramming and blocking MUST be the actual skills and purpose on the one world-group races. let's think bit logically: every player has different spawn points at the starting checkpoint. some of them on the front, some of them at the back, some of them are bit far from the corner. it means that, every player has different distances to the ending checkpoint of the race. so, if every player had enough and nearly equal driving skills, results of the race would be exactly determined by the players' distances to the ending checkpoint. but where is the fun about this? if i already know my result at the start, why do i even race? a player's purpose is nothing but being at the top of the result, i guess. so how is he gonna do that? by waiting front players to hit a wall or lamppost? it's nonsense. i believe that especially the rams at the start of the races is important to get a good position in the race. it can turn the disadvantage of being at the back at the start, to advantage. otherwise it's bit harder to catch front player unless he hits something. and that's the unfair point of those races. you can't give formula 1 example for this, because we don't make qualifying before each race, nor playing at the racing circuit except few races. most of our races are in the concept of "illegal street racing" (even if traffic doesn't exist). so it's very funny that ramming and blocking are not allowed on this type of race.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 06:24:29 am by username »

Offline [MAF]Agus

• Manager
  • (͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    • View Profile
  • In-game name: [MAF]Agus
Re: what's the actual purpose of one world-group races?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 06:50:02 am »
I believe the purpose or non-TT races (including one worlds, even though I prefer 4 players per world) is the fun of passing someone (which is a lot more entertaining imo than just ''passing'' him in a TT race).

About the ramming and blocking being allowed on one worlds, I disagree, because while it's true we don't have qualifiying like in F1, there's a script that bases your spawn position on your last 3 results (karlis will know better), and even if there wasn't any script, it would still be unfair because people would even ram those who are at the same distance from the first cp.

And by the way, how do you pretend someone in the back to ram someone in the front to make it ''more fair'', that's impossible lol

if i already know my result at the start, why do i even race? a player's purpose is nothing but being at the top of the result, i guess.

I wouldn't generalize like that. I don't race for the results, I race because it's fun to.

Offline Rob_Zamora

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 11:51:08 am »
I guess you could say it's more fun than racing a time trial. Even just in a normal race (4 players per world) it gives you a chance to test out your skills in passing in consistency and it gives you a certain rush. Just so you know not everyone here races for gold but for fun. Like Agus said we don't have qualifying but the positions are according to the results of your previous races, so I don't see how that is unfair.

if every player had enough and nearly equal driving skills, results of the race would be exactly determined by the players' distances to the ending checkpoint. but where is the fun about this?

Well you're basing it that people have nearly equal driving skills, but the fact is it's not. So again it's the challenge of having to pass another player even starting at the back of the grid.

most of our races are in the concept of "illegal street racing" (even if traffic doesn't exist). so it's very funny that ramming and blocking are not allowed on this type of race.

Majority of the races are in a concept of illegal racing, but we still follow the spirit of fair play
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 11:54:05 am by Rob_Zamora »

Offline [MAF]Karlis

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 12:19:37 pm »
the grid position is based on your last 3 finishes:
you get 100 points for being 1st, 99 for being 2nd, and so on
then last three finish points are added, and whoever has the most points, is first in the grid

______

there is just one reason why ramming/blocking not allowed:
samp has a really terrible sync which in no way is trying to compensate the latency issues.
if you hit a car, its the same as you hit a brick wall.
if car hits you, its the same as a tank would.

so, any collisions between vehicles are discouraged simply because the technical implementation of the collisions is overpowered, unintuitive, abuse prone and inconsistent.

Offline [FSR]Ush

• Admin
  • Aart
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 01:04:51 pm »
One world races are fun imo, I like to pass others and evade the ramming. Yeah I get frustrated after a ram as well, but it happens.. people who ram too often get punished eventually.
And for the normal world races, if you are good enough you will race between better players = less ramming.

Offline [MAF]Vertigo

• Admin
  • lol
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 01:36:39 pm »
For me, OneWorld races are the most fun. The satisfaction in getting from 30th to 3rd is better than a record. Plus, IV races are basically OneWorld races with ramming allowed.

Offline MadMax

• Lazyass, still hanging around AX from time to time
  • Admin
  • I'm the road warrior...
    • View Profile
  • In-game name: MadMax[MAF]
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 01:42:18 pm »
there is nothing better than starting last and winding your positions up whole race, even if you don't win, but for example finish 5th, it is great expirience

racing alone is just map/track knowledge, all factors are predictable if you know track... all you had to do isdo not fuckup on your own, so wouldn't call it 'multiplayer'

racing in big group adds the most important factor: reaction for hazzardous situations that may appear during race, you can't really predict others, therefore needs lot of reflex and avoiding skill

always loved racing with players against players, pure MULTIplayer game, what is samp supposed to be

PLEASE, IGNORE ALL MY SPELLING MISTAKES AND OTHER TYPOS True racing fans enjoy horsepower in ANY form

Offline [MAF]Cthulhu

• Admin
  • Trance, Progressive, Techno <3
    • View Profile
  • In-game name: [MAF]Phobos
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 03:56:26 pm »
yeah, one world races are still fun despite all the rammers around

Offline [LSR]Cassidy

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 04:22:35 pm »
I think that if there wasn't any rammer, one world races would be less fun.

Offline [MAF]Snoopy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2013, 04:23:08 pm »
100fps in oneworld races ftw

Offline Troublemaker

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2013, 06:06:09 pm »
I used to prefer TT races, but Max opened my eyes  :L 

Yeah, racing in TT takes only good fingers and knowledge of the map, where to cut, how to avoid bumps etc. while one world and normal grid races require knowledge about how to drive in team and how to avoid ramming. And it's better feeling when you see the player you're racing against, instead of racing like a ghost in TT  8) Another reason why I love SKs...

I love to play more TTs, because I want to learn more about cuts, bumps, cars' air control etc, so I could get a better position in one world and SK races.

I would never allow ramming, because the only thing that it brings is rage. Whenever someone gets rammed, I see rage. And later they say it's funny to ram someone, but how'd you feel when you're the one getting rammed? I don't think it's funny :P

Offline S

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2013, 06:16:44 pm »
tl;dr of this thread: i prefer oneworld because i cant handle driving well consistently in TT
i dont understand how you can speak of overtaking fun etc in oneworld when samp sync makes it completely random and you can get launched off the road any time by someone who wont even notice it  :L

Offline [MAF]Snoopy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2013, 06:20:31 pm »
The way best to determine a win/record whore (Jack Gornall) is to put on an SK race and watch everyone fight to be at the front, while the people who don't care about that sort of thing wait at the back and watch lol :)

Offline musicloveR

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2013, 06:51:57 pm »
lol

Offline username

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2013, 10:14:10 pm »
there is just one reason why ramming/blocking not allowed:
samp has a really terrible sync which in no way is trying to compensate the latency issues.
if you hit a car, its the same as you hit a brick wall.
if car hits you, its the same as a tank would.

so, any collisions between vehicles are discouraged simply because the technical implementation of the collisions is overpowered, unintuitive, abuse prone and inconsistent.

i think only this can be realistic reason for ramming prohibition. and some weird things about this happen to me often. like; i'm driving 30 kmh on my way, an opponent hits me from the side or back with 50 kmh, and we're both skidding 100 kmh until we hit something. but even so, can ramming prohibition really be a solution for this? i don't think so. because it's really killing the spirit of street racing.