Author Topic: How to drive fast  (Read 10078 times)

Offline Mute.

• Admin
    • View Profile
How to drive fast
« on: October 01, 2013, 02:31:58 pm »
Well, I get asked this question a lot, so I decided I'd actually answer it properly for once.

Understanding of the racing line is probably the most important thing to making you faster, so here are 3 videos (part A, B and C) to explain it to you guys.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxMSdvnm0Ms[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTSpf6utKto[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTOs5xBRSt4[/youtube]

Obviously these videos are for real drivers, but the skills are transferable.

Protip time:

Tip #1 - If you use handbrake, only use it in relatively grippy cars and never hold it down 'cause you will just lose time if you hold it. You should be using it to kinda guide the car to the right apex, if that makes sense. When using handbrake, make sure the car isn't sliding, if you release W after using handbrake, and continue to turn (with W released) it will turn the car at a sharper angle until you press W again to grip it again. In the infernus you can release W for as long as you want while sliding as it has a ton of grip so when you push W down again it will grip up with no drama, however in less grippy cars, there's less room for error so just use your best judgement for how long to release it and if it's even worth doing in the first place.

Tip #2 - You don't have to cut every single corner to make a top1, I sometimes see people trying to cut absolutely everything and it's just not worth it and it isn't always the fastest way around. If the cut means you have to travel slowly through it to not fail, don't use that cut, only use it if you can travel through it quickly.

Tip #3 - Slower is sometimes faster. In S bends, it is better to go slightly slower through the first corner of the S bend so that you can come out of the second corner onto the straight with more speed.

Tip #4 - It's all about da exit speed. There's no point speeding into a corner if you have to slow down on the exit to avoid crashing into a wall. You should be trying to get the right speed before the corner so you can speed out the corner to the track-out point (explained in those videos I think), which in SA:MP, the track-out would either be a lamppost or a wall generally. Again with the S bends, you shouldn't be driving to track-out in the first corner of an S bend, you should be trying to set yourself up for the perfect exit of the final corner so you can speed to your track-out point.

Tip #5 - Remember your fails. I categorize my fails into knowledge fails and execution fails. Knowledge fails are basically if you didn't know there was a lamp behind the corner, these are the fails to remember. Execution fails are basically if you just fuck up, they can't really be stopped by anything other than getting better over time.

Tip #6 - Don't try too hard. When I'm driving I'm not constantly trying to think about this stuff, it just kinda comes naturally for me because I kinda subconsciously know it I guess. It's actually harder for me to explain what I do than for me to actually do it lol, some thought has gone into this thread so I hope you slownabs appreciate it <3.

Making this thread made me realise how much of a racing geek I am lol. Before you worry about me being some major nerd, I would like you all to know that this is the stuff I subconsciously know, I don't study it or anything crazy like that, I kinda just became conscious of my subconscious to try to explain it the best I can.

I hope this helps, now stop asking me how to drive fast.

Farewell all.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 08:37:10 pm by Mute. »

Offline [MAF]Agus

• Manager
  • (͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    • View Profile
  • In-game name: [MAF]Agus
Re: How to drive fast
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 02:52:05 pm »
;_;

Offline Skream!

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 03:01:11 pm »
Making this thread made me realise how much of a racing geek I am lol. Before you worry about me being some major nerd,

Offline Mute.

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 03:08:04 pm »
 :-[

Offline Queen|iPink

• Admin
    • View Profile
  • In-game name: Queen
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 03:10:03 pm »
Great tips. I was waiting for someone to create this topic :D

Offline [MAF]Cromiell

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 03:35:44 pm »
However everything written here and on any other racing tutorial is true, I still feel like you can throw this into recycle bin. Just try adding a poles and other street items lol + samp physics + fps 'shit happens' moments' + bumps.

Offline [FSR]Ush

• Admin
  • Aart
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 04:14:16 pm »
This is 2nd nature for me

Offline [MAF]Snoopy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 04:24:52 pm »
I'm too lazy for this. How I used to race back in the day got me to the top a number of times without using any racing strategy. (In any racing game)

And I always say, a shortcut isn't a shortcut if you have to slow down.

Offline Mute.

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2014, 09:07:31 pm »
bumped for 3d cos he couldn't find it.

Offline 3DSexVilla

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2014, 09:10:04 pm »
bumped for 3d cos he couldn't find it.

:)

Offline Troublemaker

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2014, 01:55:20 am »
Mute, you're such a major nerd, damn.

Offline Terrorfist

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2014, 07:14:39 am »
How about those people who fails with bumps?  :L
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
GIGABYTE GA-P35-S3L
6GB DDR2 RAM
GeForce GT 730 1GB GDDR5 64-bit
Seagate Barracuda 250GB + Western Digital 320GB
Astone Enforcer Mid Tower Chassis

Offline S

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2014, 12:49:27 pm »
now i can be the racer i always wanted to be, thank you for changing my life mute  :-*

Offline [2F2F]alex

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2014, 01:34:50 pm »
now i can be the racer i always wanted to be, thank you for changing my life mute  :-*

Offline Skream!

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2014, 01:36:08 pm »