Author Topic: Games for Windows Live Shutting Down in 2014  (Read 10407 times)

Offline [MAF]Jur1z

Games for Windows Live Shutting Down in 2014
« on: August 20, 2013, 12:23:57 am »
Games for Windows Live Shutting Down in 2014, GFWL Marketplace being closed on 22nd August 2013

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/19/games-for-windows-live-shutting-down-in-2014

What will happen to games on Steam (like: GTA IV, DiRT 2 & 3, BioShock 2, Dark Souls, Batman Arkham City,...) with requires GFWL? Will they stop working?

Offline [MAF]Snoopy

• View Profile
Re: Games for Windows Live Shutting Down in 2014
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 12:24:43 am »
This is intriguing actually

Offline [FSR]Ush

• Admin
  • Aart
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 01:51:49 am »
That's weird, I wonder what will happen to these games as well.. I have Fallout 3 and GTA IV that use GFWL

Offline [AK47]M4lysz

• Admin
    • View Profile
    • [AK47]Forum
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 07:03:39 am »
Wondering what will happen to GFWL if they will block ppl games!

Offline [AK47]Tommy_Vicious

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 07:07:35 am »
i'm happy becasue i had a lot of problem with GFWL in the past , but on the other hand i'm worried about the cahnce to play those games again :s

Offline nero

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 07:47:44 am »
You all have to admit that GFWL is a pure big piece of shit. The "store" is aweful compared to Steam, and I had so many problems when playing GTA IV, but not because of the game, but because of GFWL having weird and unexplainable errors, if I even made it run after hours spending on trying to make it even run.

I'm happy they are shutting it down, although they probably come up with some sort of "small" programm to replace it or make the games work in Steam. I'm already looking forward to the next aweful bugs when trying to make GTA IV work after GFWL has been shut down...

Offline [MAF]Karlis

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 10:09:46 am »
are there no-GFWL cracks just like there are nosteam ones? that could be the only way to keep the games, nowadays if you buy a game in steam you don't even really own it, just rent. :/

Offline [FSR]Ush

• Admin
  • Aart
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 10:41:20 am »
You really rent it? lol..

Offline [MAF]Aj_Lajk_Bir

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 01:35:22 pm »
GFWL died already, in 2013 there were 2 games with gfwl, 1 retail and 1 arcade.
I hope it will be still possible to play multiplayer after that day.

and about gfwl, i hadn't any problem with it, idk why people like nero had many problems.

Offline nero

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 01:44:36 pm »
Although I had A LOT of problems with it, I can agree on Krzysiek. I had friends with same game, same OS, and roughly same setup, who had exactly none problems with the exact same disk.

Like I said, the problems were unexplainable, without errors codes or anything, just like it doesn't do anything at all.

Maybe we will find out about the future of GFWL when GTA V comes for PC, cause they need a solution for that multiplayer (which hopefully will be steam integration).

Offline [MAF]Aj_Lajk_Bir

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 01:49:20 pm »
many people were saying that gfwl is shit cause they couldnt save on pirated game  :L cause you have to be logged to gfwl online or offline to save your game. some people were so dumb and couldnt even create local profile  :L

i liked in-game gfwl interface: achievements, gamerscore, friends list, messages but marketplace was big joke compared to steam store  ;D

Offline [MAF]Jur1z

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2013, 06:54:53 pm »
and about gfwl, i hadn't any problem with it, idk why people like nero had many problems.
same here

Maybe we will find out about the future of GFWL when GTA V comes for PC, cause they need a solution for that multiplayer (which hopefully will be steam integration).
there already is solution for GTA V, its will use Rockstar Games Social Club for multiplayer and achievements just like Max Payne 3

Also i think GTA IV's Liberty City will be added to GTA Online

Offline nero

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2013, 08:01:53 pm »
Hahaha, but they already had Rockstar Games Social Club in GTA IV in the first place and removed it later with a patch due to being totally useless xD

Offline [MAF]Jur1z

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2013, 08:43:51 pm »
Hahaha, but they already had Rockstar Games Social Club in GTA IV in the first place and removed it later with a patch due to being totally useless xD
But now its working correctly in games like Max Payne 3, L.A. Noire, Max Payne (mobile version)

Offline [MAF]Aj_Lajk_Bir

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2013, 01:53:18 pm »
UPDATE: Microsoft has responded to our inquiry about Games for Windows Live's impending closure with a cryptic message about believing in PC gaming and having a long-term plan to grow.

The company's official statement is as follows:

"Yesterday, an Age of Empires support web page communicated that the free to play Age of Empires Online will be discontinued on July 1, 2014. We believe in Windows/PC gaming and have long-term plans to grow our support. We expect there to be transitions as we build out new investments, but we remain committed to bringing first party gaming services and games to Windows for years to come. We will share more details in the future."

source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-08-20-games-for-windows-live-is-ending-for-good-in-july-2014