Author Topic: lags/fps drops  (Read 3476 times)

Offline S

• Admin
    • View Profile
lags/fps drops
« on: June 22, 2013, 10:16:00 pm »
since i reinstalled windows i get some heavy lagspikes when spawning/passing cars in sk, looking at many people in oneworld and going really fast in stunt with speedboost. this hasnt happened before i formatted. also, im running gta/samp on a seperate and empty hdd, nothing except browser, steam and spotify running together with gta. help pls, its really annoying

inb4 shitpc

Offline [MAF]Karlis

Re: lags/fps drops
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 11:04:09 pm »
i'm writing this with an assumption that you have plenty of ram, 8 gb if i'm not mistaken.

1) get "dataram ramdisk", or other ramdisk utility, im just refering to this one as its easy to use.
2) install it, open, set size to ~1GB, unformatted space, no saving/loading. start it.
3) in windows disk manager format the whole ram disk to ntfs file system.
4) copy gta3.img from your installation into the ram disk.
5) rename gta3.img in your installation to something else, for backup.
6) open cmd.exe, write 'mklink /d "D:\program files (x86)\rockstar games\gta san andreas\models\gta3.img" "G:\gta3.img" '
(assuming your ram disc is set up to be G: and hard drive is D:)

now you should be able to access the whole big archive inside ram without accessing hdd directly.
if lag has gone then its hard drive issue, of not, then most likely gpu.
if you're not lazy, you can repeat the process for some other archives in there that you could suspect of being faulty.

to return back to normal just delete the links in installation, unmount the ram disk and rename backup archives to their normal names.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 11:06:45 pm by [MAF]Karlis »

Offline S

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 10:16:51 am »
after ive done all of that the first time my gta sa wouldnt start when i joined the server, the second time this: Exception At Address: 0x00746929 would come up, this was because another gta process was already running, but if i end it and start again it repeats. already deleted gta_sa.set

Offline [MAF]Snoopy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 11:21:18 am »
winodws 8?

Offline [MAF]Karlis

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 01:26:33 pm »
you need to make sure that there is a link (something like a shortcut) in place of the real archive in the installation and that if you use that link on some program, lets say imgtool, it opens the archive correctly.

Offline Scorpion.

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 10:18:20 am »
i'm writing this with an assumption that you have plenty of ram, 8 gb if i'm not mistaken.

1) get "dataram ramdisk", or other ramdisk utility, im just refering to this one as its easy to use.
2) install it, open, set size to ~1GB, unformatted space, no saving/loading. start it.
3) in windows disk manager format the whole ram disk to ntfs file system.
4) copy gta3.img from your installation into the ram disk.
5) rename gta3.img in your installation to something else, for backup.
6) open cmd.exe, write 'mklink /d "D:\program files (x86)\rockstar games\gta san andreas\models\gta3.img" "G:\gta3.img" '
(assuming your ram disc is set up to be G: and hard drive is D:)

now you should be able to access the whole big archive inside ram without accessing hdd directly.
if lag has gone then its hard drive issue, of not, then most likely gpu.
if you're not lazy, you can repeat the process for some other archives in there that you could suspect of being faulty.

to return back to normal just delete the links in installation, unmount the ram disk and rename backup archives to their normal names.
nice guide karlis, my question is possible use this method for Windows Xp?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 11:02:24 am by [Scorpion] »

Offline [MAF]Karlis

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 03:04:17 pm »
it should be, however you need more tools.
scroll down here un til you see guide for xp
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 03:05:57 pm by [MAF]Karlis »

Offline [AK47]Tommy_Vicious

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 03:14:16 pm »
i think that doesn't work on Xp ...

Offline [MAF]Karlis

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 09:01:52 pm »
quite sure there is a way as the symbolic links are somewhat supported in XP, it just requires more tools and effort.
also i forgot that formatting must be done with 3rd party tools in xp.