Author Topic: Your moobilephone  (Read 157026 times)

Offline nero

Re: Your moobilephone
« Reply #570 on: September 03, 2014, 05:22:27 pm »
You let yourself confuse by automatic digital "optimization". No device (except DSRL cameras) take pictures without adding a little saturation/sharpness/whatever to it. You can see that the Nokia fucks up the pixels in some places. The Samsung seems to have fewer saturation.

Here is the comparison (booth zoomed 700% in PS with same section of the photo):

Nokia:

Samsung:

And again with the chimney:

Nokia:

Samsung:

You can see that the Nokia pictures have irregularities in some pixels, where the Samsung pictures have smooth transitions. I can achieve the same effect with the Samsung pictures, if I pull up the saturation and pull together the tonal values. The eye thinks the image is better/sharper/more colorful, but this goes to the expense of the quality of the pixels. Basically, you rip some of the quality of the picture away to make the overall look better. In regards to professional printing, the Samsung pictures would be a better choice.

Edit:

Also, the brightness seems to be a problem here. The camera measures the brightness from a chosen point and then adjusts the aperture and white balance to it. Some smartphones (like the iPhone) offer the ability to choose this point to make better pictures in some situations (taking a photo against a window, measuring point should be on the object in front of the window). It might be, that the Nokia just has a better measuring functionality then the Samsung (or just had luck with these test photos).
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 05:26:30 pm by nero »

Offline [MAF]Epoxi

« Reply #571 on: September 03, 2014, 05:27:13 pm »
I prefer the Samsung picture, I think it could also be sharper if you take the photo again but hold the phone still. Then again, image stabilisation is something you would want from a phone camera.

Offline [MAF]Karlis

« Reply #572 on: September 03, 2014, 05:30:11 pm »
both of the pictures are pretty bad tbh, if you decide to buy a new mid-range+ android you should see a big improvement.

if you really like the sharpening though, you could buy a sony phone, since they have their "bravia" engine which does exactly this on your phone screen, but doesn't do the same effect on the photo itself, where it could cause problems.

and yeah, the samsung's picture is editable to be like nokia's, but not the other way around.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 05:32:25 pm by [MAF]Karlis »

Offline ...

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: September 03, 2014, 05:44:30 pm »
Currently got no money to waste if have at least 3 phones to choose from, so gotta stick to one of these

Well I didn't check again what are the phones you currently have and how much they're worth, but if you don't need multiple phones maybe you'd better sell them, in order to get enough money back to buy a mid-range smartphone. Of course if they're hardly worth much anymore it's normal that you don't want to bother selling them.

If you're willing to buy a second hand phone you should certainly find one that fits your criteria within 150€ in perfect condition, probably even less, or maybe you should even ask around if you know somebody getting rid of their previous generation phone to get the newer ones, you might get a better price + you get a better source to tell you if the phone has any problem or not.

Offline MadMax

• Lazyass, still hanging around AX from time to time
  • Admin
  • I'm the road warrior...
    • View Profile
  • In-game name: MadMax[MAF]
« Reply #574 on: September 03, 2014, 06:22:17 pm »
ye, now i see, even simple Google picassa let me get result close to nokia... hmm so in fact Samsung is better as can get same result, if needed to read text and more options to edit and adjust picture, also important is that Samsung got option to turn off camera sounds, thats handy if wanna take picture without making noise and disturbing

http://i.imgur.com/X2PtaGa.jpg

PLEASE, IGNORE ALL MY SPELLING MISTAKES AND OTHER TYPOS True racing fans enjoy horsepower in ANY form

Offline musicloveR

« Reply #575 on: September 03, 2014, 09:36:34 pm »

Offline [MAF]Epoxi

« Reply #576 on: September 03, 2014, 10:52:37 pm »
Sorry if I have asked this before, but is there an Android phone you can buy in Europe with a full QWERTY keyboard?

I know you can import ones from the USA, but the 3G isn't compatible.  :(

Offline ...

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: September 03, 2014, 11:21:48 pm »
http://www.gsmarena.com/results.php3?idQwerty=1&sOSes=2

Although that doesn't show specifically about Europe, you can add pretty good filters in the research. I'm 100% sure the Xperia X10 mini pro was available in France (but it's pretty small). I think Desire Z as well.

Offline [MAF]Karlis

« Reply #578 on: September 04, 2014, 09:03:12 am »
http://www.gsmarena.com/results.php3?idQwerty=1&sOSes=2

Although that doesn't show specifically about Europe, you can add pretty good filters in the research. I'm 100% sure the Xperia X10 mini pro was available in France (but it's pretty small). I think Desire Z as well.
it's like 3-4 years old, so it's just not worth it.
epoxi, have you ever tried swiftkey? once you get used to it it's way faster than qwerty keyboard.

Offline [FSR]Ush

• Admin
  • Aart
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: September 04, 2014, 10:17:13 am »
Sorry if I have asked this before, but is there an Android phone you can buy in Europe with a full QWERTY keyboard?

I know you can import ones from the USA, but the 3G isn't compatible.  :(

Why not just buy a touchscreen keyboard

Swiftkey is master!

Offline ...

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: September 04, 2014, 04:34:45 pm »
Yeah unfortunately there's not many phones like that. I only mentioned the 2 I know, I've know those for a few years, but it also depends if epoxi doesn't mind a low-end smartphone.

@Ush: well some people still don't like much exclusive touchscreen... Same for me when I bought my current phone over 2 years ago, I only did so because there was no good phone with a qwerty keyboard, even the X10 mini that had just come out wasn't good. I had a symbian phone with full qwerty + touchscreen before that, it was pretty cool (the phone in itself wasn't really good though) and back then I was hoping they'd make more and more phones like that but it didn't happen :(.

I don't know what the "blackberry style" phones are worth, if there's any good ones and if you don't mind having a phone like that epoxi, but if you don't maybe you should have a look at that. I assume you want such a phone because it's more convenient, right? and you can't get used to touchscreens?

Offline [MAF]Agus

• Manager
  • (͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    • View Profile
  • In-game name: [MAF]Agus
« Reply #581 on: September 10, 2014, 04:51:27 pm »
Bought a Motorola Moto E, been using it for a day and so far I love it!

Offline [MAF]Epoxi

« Reply #582 on: September 11, 2014, 06:31:11 pm »
Thanks for the help guys, but I have already considered those options.  :(

The Xperia Pro Mini is far too small and low-end, and the Xperia Pro is just too old to justify: I might get one if I saw one really cheap but it's quite a rare phone to begin with.

I don't want to go back to Blackberry because you have to pay for their silly contract just to use internet, plus I wasn't very happy with my Blackberry which had all sorts of faults just after having it for 2 years. As for swype etc. I have tried it and it's quite impressive but I really think I can be more efficient with real keyboard keys. People say it's something you get used to, but despite having had a touch screen phone for many more years than everyone else, I still find it much too frustrating compared to a normal keyboard.

Offline MadMax

• Lazyass, still hanging around AX from time to time
  • Admin
  • I'm the road warrior...
    • View Profile
  • In-game name: MadMax[MAF]
« Reply #583 on: September 11, 2014, 07:40:19 pm »
hmm any opinions on Nokia Lumia 635?

my mobile operator gives it for very cheap (+/- 10€) if i agree to extend a contract

PLEASE, IGNORE ALL MY SPELLING MISTAKES AND OTHER TYPOS True racing fans enjoy horsepower in ANY form

Offline [MAF]Epoxi

« Reply #584 on: September 11, 2014, 07:44:01 pm »
Is that 10 euro/mo in total or 10 euro/mo in addition to your contract?

If it's in total, I'd take it since my SIM-only contract costs that much anyway, if it's on top of what you're paying now I'd avoid it.