Author Topic: Protest Watch: UK  (Read 8170 times)

Offline [MAF]Sighmoan

• Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Protest Watch: UK
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2010, 09:45:41 am »
Photo of the day from the protests in London yesterday:

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/blinkofaneye/5204176793/sizes/m/

Offline [MAF]Aj_Lajk_Bir

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2010, 10:04:47 am »
update:
watched it in night tv news
btw, nice fight

Offline siiiim

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2010, 10:20:02 am »
The damage your riots are causing will cost you more money than paying for your studies. GG!

Offline [FSR]Ush

• Admin
  • Aart
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2010, 01:58:43 pm »
If Spain fuckes up the EU is going to hell, because Spain got a really big economy and we can't give them enough money as EU...

Btw, I wish the EU was just NL, Belgium, Germany, GB, Scandinavia.. or something.

Offline [MAF]Aj_Lajk_Bir

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2010, 03:01:18 pm »
you are seriously or joking?

Offline [FSR]Ush

• Admin
  • Aart
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2010, 03:13:53 pm »
Serious, other countries just cause shit. Netherlands is the most paying country proportionally, maybe even in absolute cash.. but I don't know. I know NL have a lot of benefits.. but shit like Greece, Ireland, Portugal and maybe Spain is not helping us.. this costs us money.

Offline ...

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2010, 05:10:05 pm »
hehe you're confirming my point of view of the nordic people (english + scandinavian + germans, including the small countries) that are quite chauvinist.

And to defend my point that EU shouldn't be only the richest countries, well those countries would lose quite a lot of money if they "cut" the links with the others... it helps them too with the export, they can export more since the other european countries don't have to pay many taxes for importing european products, and about the help to greece... germany and france are going to win hundreads of millions with the interest rates (over 8% if i remember well...), quite similar for the other countries in high debt. And another thing I hated about germany (ok it's not NL you'll say... but you want it in your EU) is how the medias insulted greeks, angayla merkel telling that they have to lower every spend of the state... except for weaponry, since gayrmany makes billions from selling weaps to greece. (around 1 every year only for germany, more for france) In the same time, we pretend that the EU is a pacific organization. Bullshit. It's a rapists organization imo.

If the so called PIGS (thanks english medias for insulting foreigners because of their economy... now you can also insult your own people) Portugal Italy Greece Spain went to leave the EU, or just the euro zone, it would be very bad for them, but also very bad for the other countries, and mainly the wealthy countries like France, UK, germany, benelux...

Now I mainly talked about greece cause that's the one i know more, but i'm pretty sure we could say many other things about the other countries.

Offline [FSR]Ush

• Admin
  • Aart
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2010, 01:18:06 am »
You're right on most points.. we all need eachother in the end.. but that doesn't mean countries like Greece can fuck up the EU. We all need eachother so we all should work for it, imo Greece went a bit lame just because they were "in" and thought everything would be fine..

Offline ...

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2010, 05:08:48 am »
yes greece is the main responsible for what happenend, same for every country, just wanted to point out that other countries where many ppl like to criticize, even insult, aren't much better.

Offline [MAF]Sighmoan

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2010, 09:23:10 am »
From the little i know about the Greece situation, i thought they got in their pickle because they kept increasing public sector wages (possibly to buy voters and keep them in power? i don't know) and major tax evasion.

The tax evasion is no doubt a cultural thing as some countries see 'beating the system' and getting a way with it as ok and it is ingrained in their culture, more so than other countries.

Offline ...

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2010, 10:38:26 am »
About the high public sector wages idk, but I know there are a lot of public employees in Greece, probably the highest rate of public employees compared to the number of active people in Europe si even if the wages aren't high it costs a lot to the State. And tax evasion is very high too, yes...

Back on topic, the only things I've seen about the protests was on the "no comment" part of euronews... I don't remember seeing anything about it in the news of yesterday.

Offline [FSR]Ush

• Admin
  • Aart
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2010, 12:33:38 pm »
I saw there was a student protest in Italy too.

Offline [MAF]Sighmoan

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2010, 12:45:30 pm »
Students in the UK are planning more protests for Tuesday 30th November.

Offline [FSR]Ush

• Admin
  • Aart
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2010, 12:47:39 pm »
What do student protests mean? Are they the expression of a very bad going economy? Students are usually the first to protest, because they are young and wild.

Offline [MAF]falky

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2010, 12:49:52 pm »
Can anyone summarise for me what's happening in the EU atm? :-\