Author Topic: Beginners guide to building maps with MTA  (Read 4202 times)

Offline [MAF]Sighmoan

• Admin
    • View Profile
Beginners guide to building maps with MTA
« on: November 23, 2010, 10:12:44 am »
I'm starting from total scratch so thought i would log everything i come across for the benefit of others.

Software required:

1. First off, grab yourself a copy of MTA: http://www.multitheftauto.com/

(Some have said that i should use an older version, but until i encounter problems i am going to stick with the latest version. If i do downgrade i will modify this post accordingly. The old version is here).

When installing MTA make sure you install the client, editor and the server. I just installed everything to be sure.

2. You will also need the MTA convertor to turn your map into a samp friendly format, which is here. This also needs the .Net framework installed.

Using MTA:

(Bear in mind that these notes are correct for the latest version of MTA. If you are using the older version they will be different and you will need to check the documentation that comes with the version you have chosen to use.)

If you choose use the latest version i strongly recommend you use the built in tutorial the very first time you use it to familiarise yourself with the basic controls.

Full instructions on what each button on the gui does is here.

Configuring MTA:

You need to select the gamemode type to be 'race'. Unless you do this you will not be able to create race spawn points or checkpoints.
Any race you make must have 2 spawn points and obviously checkpoints.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 09:52:35 am by [MAF]SighMoan »

Offline [MAF]Rac3r

• Leader
  • Well, this is embarrassing.
    • View Profile
Re: Beginners guide to building maps with MTA
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 09:47:10 pm »
Good start, I did try to upload a video to back this thread up, but the upload kept timing out.

MTA Race 1.1  Download
To make this run on Vista or Windows 7, you need to rename or delete the Client.dll file located in your mods/race folder.

Tips
To copy an object, press F9. To copy an object and keep the objects position, hold Ctrl and press F9.
To create the same element (Vehicle, checkpoint or object), point away from solid ground (In the air), this will allow you to still hold the element to be placed, then press F9.
Hold Ctrl and press (Up / Down) or (PageUp / PageDown) to rotate an object.
Holding Shift increases the speed.
Keep an eye on the radar, it'll help when moving objects (North is Up, South is Down, East is Right and West is Left).

Offline [MAF]Sighmoan

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 09:34:45 am »
Why does everyone recommend using that version when the new one works fine. I appreciate if you are used to the old one keep using it, but if you are brand new to mapping, surely its best to learn the newest version?

Offline [MAF]Rac3r

• Leader
  • Well, this is embarrassing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 01:19:39 pm »
The new editor is a bit confusing, also it slows down your map making. Don't get me wrong, the new editor can do a hell of a lot more (for example interior modding), but it's a tougher learning curve than the old, basic editor.

Offline [MAF]Sighmoan

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 04:09:05 pm »
The new editor is a bit confusing,
Really? Maybe if you are use to using the old one it is, but i've spent about 20 mins on the new one got my head round it.

This is a beginners guide after all...

Offline Karlip

• Admin
  • -something clever-
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 03:38:43 pm »
The new map editor is unstable for me afaik, hence why i use Race also, it's freaking awesome.