Author Topic: Emergency Admin System  (Read 6979 times)

Offline ǝǝǝoſ[sXɐ]

• Admin
    • View Profile
  • In-game name: Joeee
Emergency Admin System
« on: November 20, 2010, 12:45:03 am »
Sometimes admins have to join the server under fake names to catch cheaters, and then to ban they have to rejoin on their admin account. In that time, the hacker could leave and rejoin and hack again later. To solve this, there should be a command like /admin [admin's nick] [admin's pass] that temporarily gives the unregistered account an admin status, but hides it in /admins. Simon will want this, since he's the one that had the problem, so we came up with this :)

Offline [MAF]Sighmoan

• Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Emergency Admin System
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 12:47:33 am »
Any system whereby an admin can be lurking on the server and speccing people and then ban them without logging off and then back in again into their admin account would be great.

Offline [MAF]Vertigo

• Admin
  • lol
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 06:11:57 am »
Perhaps just a temporary admin password that gives you admin for say 10 minutes. /admin [password]

I don't really mind either way. I checked sprunkbuster yesterday, saw an evader, got on, banned and left within probably 30 seconds.
If you have to spec a hacker under a fake name, then they are probably a regular, in which case you would need video evidence anyway.

Offline [MAF]falky

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 06:51:01 am »
Brilliant idea. This would avoid suspicion from those bloody sneaky fucks.

Offline Karlip

• Admin
  • -something clever-
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 10:33:21 am »
How about.../hide command for hiding from /admins list and /temporaryname to set yourself a fake name for a limited amount of time?

Offline pod

• Scripter
    • View Profile
  • In-game name: pod
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 10:55:39 am »
IRC -> !xban

Offline [MAF]falky

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 11:51:40 am »
^ it exists but if I wanted to spec a regular without suspicion I would have to join under a different nick but as I join it would still show me coming from the Philippines, which is a good enough hint for most avid regulars :( I wanna be able to mask my location as well (somewhere nearby e.g. Australia, New Zealand). Hope you understand. :)

Offline [FSR]Ush

• Admin
  • Aart
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 01:10:10 pm »
Yeah we should be able to hide under some shit countries name :D

I'd love to join as a Liechtesteiner. :D

Offline [MAF]Rac3r

• Leader
  • Well, this is embarrassing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 08:14:27 am »

Offline [MAF]falky

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 02:24:20 pm »
MEH. I doubt R read my post :-\ let me quote

... but if I wanted to spec a regular without suspicion I would have to join under a different nick but as I join it would still show me coming from the Philippines, which is a good enough hint for most avid regulars :( I wanna be able to mask my location as well (somewhere nearby e.g. Australia, New Zealand). Hope you understand. :)

Offline [MAF]Rac3r

• Leader
  • Well, this is embarrassing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2010, 05:40:18 pm »
How would the server know to change your location? How could it calculate it's an admin joining with a fake name?

I understand now (u were right, I didn't read your post), for the majority of us it isn't a problem, people connect from UK, PL, NL, SP and so on all the time.
We could join with a fake name and no one would notice.

Just a bit of a pain doing all the coding for one or two admins (you and vert?). Australians do join, so it might just be you falky.

I'm against allowing fake name admins to have admin status, people getting banned by "IM_FAKING_MY_NAME". It's not right. Also could be abused.

Offline ǝǝǝoſ[sXɐ]

• Admin
    • View Profile
  • In-game name: Joeee
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2010, 08:18:50 pm »
Well then, it could desplay the admins real name as a ban message, but to everyone else it could just desplay the faked one.

Offline [MAF]falky

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2010, 01:40:46 am »
I just hate togglers :|

Offline [MAF]Sighmoan

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2010, 09:51:15 am »
IRC -> !xban

I should have read the IRC commands properly, as that will do nicely.

Offline [2F2F]Hellmuth

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2010, 12:24:57 pm »
Perhaps set up a few undercover admin accounts available for every admin to use with a specific country already selected. And of course hidden from /admins.

Offline [MAF]Sighmoan

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2010, 12:59:18 pm »
If you do that and make a bad call it would be hard to work out which admin it was, which is the point R was making in a previous post.

Offline [HSA]MiKka

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2010, 06:31:52 pm »
why dont you make a command for admins like /hidemyadmin (new name) then /showmyadmin (auto name detect), This is for when players type /admins and can see all the online admins. You would not show up on the list of /admins, BUT will still have your admin commands. BUT if a admin types /admins, they can see all of the admins (even the hidden ones that have typed /hidemyadmin) Just an idea that came to my head.