Author Topic: Next Race load list  (Read 3172 times)

Offline [MAF]Sighmoan

• Admin
    • View Profile
Next Race load list
« on: March 19, 2010, 11:21:38 am »
I'm trying to think of a system where by the race list is more random than it currently is.

Assumptions:

- To allow any approved race to be loaded by an admin, all approved races need to be in the same folder. Currently both /map and /track do this i guess. (Lets call this folder LIVE)

- Buildmode saves races into a non-live folder which can be loaded using /xtrack (Lets call this folder BUILD)

- The vote menu looks for races only in the live folder (LIVE)

First off, when testing why can't there be a server switch which flicks the vote list from LIVE to BUILD fiolder and then we can plough through testing a bit easier?

Does the vote menu have to use the LIVE folder? I ask as in theory you could have LIVE as the master list, but use other folders for the vote menu and move them in and out of different folders based on when they were last raced? This means that if i just raced a race, the chance of it coming up again would be massively reduced as it would no longer be in the folder that the vote menu looks into. Every month you could reset the folders so that at the beginning on each month all races are again in the folder that the vote menu looks at.

Does any of that make sense?

Offline [MAF]falky

• Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Next Race load list
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 11:27:57 am »
In the very early days of AdrenalineX we used a system similar to what you're describing. There was a menu admins could access that listed all possible racelists (folders) that can be loaded into the vote list. That system is now gone though.

Offline [MAF]Sighmoan

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 11:30:30 am »
I'm guessing you didn't have 2k races then, of which we seem to race the same 400 all the time :p
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 01:49:18 pm by [UK]Simon »

Offline [MAF]Rac3r

• Leader
  • Well, this is embarrassing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 12:05:40 pm »
lol true, race lists were about 40

Nice and simple way to do it would be create a new folder when the server starts (GMX). Every time a race is either played (or maybe even added to vote list) it create a racename.void file, then when a new vote is created, it checks if the file is the void folder. If it's in the void folder, do not add to vote list.

Not the quickest method, but it would work.

Offline [MAF]Sighmoan

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 01:51:05 pm »
What about my test mode switch idea?

Offline [MAF]Rac3r

• Leader
  • Well, this is embarrassing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 07:33:38 pm »
Added bits to the server that should help this.

A few problems with switching to the BUILD folder are the sheer volume of races to be tested, also they will mostly all be fail races. Well the majority for sure.

Best thing to do it sort out the LIVE folder first, this is being done as we speak. Hopefully we delete the bad races as we go and get the race total down to about 1500. By this time Monday, I have a feeling we would have played all the races from A-Z.

If the BUILD folder wasn't such a mess, it wouldn't be that hard to reload the race list using the BUILD folder files. It could be a nightmare.