Author Topic: STATE OF EMERGENCY!! Vista ATE (eat) itself!! O_O  (Read 9158 times)

Offline [MAF]falky

• Admin
    • View Profile
STATE OF EMERGENCY!! Vista ATE (eat) itself!! O_O
« on: July 03, 2008, 12:23:01 pm »
Crap lol, I got 2 drives.... one with Server 08 and the other with Vista Ultimate.

Yesterday I decided to do some disk cleanup on the Vista disk (while booted on the Vista partition), I did this after repairing my registry with Reg. Mechanic. When I saw how much was gonna be cleaned/deleted from my disk, I saw a whopping 109GB! o_O lol but I knew that Windows sometimes make errors in reporting memory info, so I went with the cleanup....

After like 15 minutes to the clean up, I noticed my desktop icons disappeared. But I assumed that it was my display doing a long refresh.

After the clean up, I then realized that 3/4 of my files have been deleted! WTF?! O_O It included ALL my music, videos, pictures; some program files; and most importantly.... a big chunk of my system files went missing O_O

Panicked, I rebooted my computer, hoping to wake up from this nightmare.... but because of missing system files, Windows was not able to boot up :'(

So I did what every man would do.... reformat 8)

After installing Windows, I googled my problem and found out the cause of my problem.... registry cleaners :-\

It said in a few articles and board discussions that a lot of people had experienced this problem already, and the cause was the registry cleaner deleting 2 keys in the registry that contained the cache info of the disk.... with this deleted, the disk cleanup utility gets confused and eats itself instead :-X

So for guys who use Vista, have registry cleaners or/and are planning to install one soon (especially those who cleans up his drive regularly), UNINSTALL/DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT! I know that Microsoft has a big problem in it's hands as this problem is now being experienced by a lot of people who use different kinds of registry cleaners (imagine the amount of data lost o.o), but before Microsoft does something.... us Vista users must 1st take necessary precautions while waiting for an update, I will keep you guys posted 8)

PS: Good news though.... ALL my files are backed up weekly in a rewritable double layer DVD I own :-*

btw, if any of you guys have (already) experienced this problem, take the time to share :)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 02:17:38 pm by R3t4Rd »

Offline [MAF]Snoopy

• View Profile
Re: STATE OF EMERGENCY!! Vista ATE (eat) itself!! O_O
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 01:38:47 pm »
:L

Offline [MAF]PyroFox

• Leader
  • ¯\(°_o)/¯
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 02:21:15 pm »
I used the same registry cleaner as you. That didn't happen to me, but I got rid of it. I also use Ccleaner, it has never let me down so I will continue to use it.

Offline [MAF]falky

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 02:40:43 pm »
I used the same registry cleaner as you. That didn't happen to me, but I got rid of it. I also use Ccleaner, it has never let me down so I will continue to use it.

ok.... well here is something that came from the registry mechanic forum itself and this guy experimented with the scenario using both reg mech and ccleaner:

This thread is interesting and I'm glad I dropped by today.

FYI, this happened to me about 4 months ago, I took an afternoon to do some maintenance, ran RM, Disk Cleanup, defragged, and the operating system literally ate itself alive and I had to reformat and reinstall, couldn't even get into safe mode to try restoring the RM backups or perform a System Restore.

After getting up and running again I 'googled' like mad to try and find the root of the problem but came up against a brick wall. I ran a scan with RM but didn't fix anything just saved the log to investigate it to see if I could identify if that was the problem but have just never had the time. I took a conscious decision not to clean the registry in Vista, for the time being anyway, as perhaps it is just to 'young' for such advanced programs to fully understand yet and have not had a problem since.

That is until this week. I tempted fate and decided to run the registry clean utility in ccleaner as part of an afternoon of cleaning everything up, which I have never really bothered with before, (just use it for cleaning the 'junk'), fixed the errors, (I did go through them and couldn't spot anything hugely untoward), and a similar scenario happened again.

I personally am not touching the registry in Vista again, I do reformat annually, which I plan the time for, in the past 9 months I have had to do it twice at unplanned times, and after using a regisrty cleaner. I have been tempted just to put XP back on .

Could all be a coincidence and not the root of the cause at all but I am definitely taking the 'twice bitten, third time shy' attitude with tampering with Vista's registry.

Kronos thanks for the link to the discussion on cnet about this. Everyone could be barking up the wrong tree but I am glad to have encountered some other people that this has happened to because thinking it had only happened to me was driving me nuts LOL.

source: http://www.pctools.com/forum/showpost.php?s=002363ad7ff68f022632ae0728865373&p=174109&postcount=5
-from-
http://www.pctools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49377

Offline Skaterkills

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 02:40:58 pm »
OUCH

That sucks... thats what you get when you buy a unfinished product  ::)

Offline [MAF]falky

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 02:42:53 pm »
well tbh reg mech runs perfectly in xp.... this only happened in vista :-\

Offline [MAF]Rac3r

• Leader
  • Well, this is embarrassing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 05:40:43 pm »
:L

Gotta laugh, if you don't laugh, you would cry. Sounds bad m8.

Offline [MAF]mooman

• Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 05:54:25 pm »
All your files are only 9GB?
will read and answer your forum PMs when I'm less busy!

Mikkel

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 07:36:48 pm »
I hate Vista. Why waste 400$ or w/e on a UNFINISHED product which isnt even better than Windows XP?

Offline [LSR]Jalicno

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 07:50:41 pm »
Heh Retard you really make laugh with this topic,you just show us why still not need change XP for Vista.Vista is biggest crap what this world had ever.Few days ago i read some text in PC magazine about Vista.Microsoft is total fucked,nobody normal wont change stabile system like Windows XP for shit who just looks better and "eat" 2gb ram for nothing.On my birthday 30th jun Microsoft stop project Windows XP.SP 3 is last update what is relased but have no any effect.Because still 90% of programmers in world make programs for XP base.Like you can see after almost 2 year Vista isn't on position what Microsoft wanted.Windows 7 coming soon and this remind me on 1999-2000 and Windows 98/Me and 2000.When Microsoft "pushed" customers to buy ME/2000 because every system gonna crash if you still use Windows 98.Don't want bore you more.But if you are smart stay on Windows XP don't jump from horse on donkey(Vista).

Offline [MAF]mooman

• Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2008, 08:03:06 pm »
yeah i agree 100% with jali vista is a total failure of an OS :)
i'm very happy on xp. i've tried vista and the only thing i miss is the search but i can live without it :D
will read and answer your forum PMs when I'm less busy!

Mikkel

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2008, 08:05:24 pm »
Only thing i like in Vista, is the HUD / GFX

Offline [MAF]falky

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2008, 09:22:17 am »
All your files are only 9GB?
lol -.-' read the top post again

well all i have to say is yea vista is biggest crap microsoft ever craped lol, tho i still have vista on one disc and server 08 on the other, i partitioned my vista disk and installed xp there.... incase vista fux up again =P

Offline [MAF]Snoopy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2009, 03:26:19 am »
yeah i agree 100% with jali vista is a total failure of an OS :)
i'm very happy on xp. i've tried vista and the only thing i miss is the search but i can live without it :D

;_;

Offline [MAF]MrHess

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2009, 03:53:42 am »
well I might have some good news, seems like Windows 7 doesnt use so much memory, and most issues vista had are solved
I would much rather be hated for what I am than loved for something that I'm not

Offline ivanduk

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2009, 06:28:03 am »
Best is Uniblue Registry Booster  oo)

[SFX]Dr.Hulka [4]: talking about gay give it to id 17
piggernenis [17]: haha
piggernenis [17]: hulka put me on ignore because he thinks im gay
[SFX]Dr.Hulka [4]: id 17 have aids

Offline [LSR]Jalicno

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2009, 04:14:04 pm »

Offline [MAF]Snoopy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2009, 04:47:09 pm »
the windows 7 explorer bar is to big imo :(

Offline [MAF]MrHess

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2009, 05:46:00 pm »
lol Jalicno, u can get the product key for free at windows7 site in microsoft
I would much rather be hated for what I am than loved for something that I'm not

Offline [LSR]Jalicno

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2009, 06:01:18 pm »
I have key lol,just didnt activated because wanted to see first how works with SA-MP.Much better then last version what i tried in march,also server ping is solved.

You can change size of explorer bar etc.

Offline [MAF]MrHess

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2009, 06:21:43 pm »
oh well, seems like w7 is gonna be way more stable than shitsta

Offline some_punk

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2009, 06:47:28 pm »
FARSTONE

RestoreIT, is a useful software, it protect your system against booting errors and etc. i dunno how, but it fixes automaticly them without delete files or something...
Yes u can restore to specific date, but everything restore at that day, everything, its better that GHOST (symantec).

http://rapidlibrary.com/download_file_i.php?qq=restoreit&file=3042870&desc=FarStone+RestoreIT++Professional+v7.1.0+.rar

PS: ye knutico has already know it.. ¬¬ it comes with intelboards disc drivers
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 06:51:56 pm by Killerbunnies »

Offline [FSR]Ush

• Admin
  • Aart
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2009, 07:08:57 pm »

yeah looks like it is twice as big  :-\

Offline [MAF]falky

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2009, 07:54:19 am »
windows 7 ftw

Offline peddy

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2009, 05:43:29 pm »
lol i think if ill get a new PC in the next months i will install my good old winows XP and wait how windows 7 will be like.

Offline ǝǝǝoſ[sXɐ]

• Admin
    • View Profile
  • In-game name: Joeee
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2009, 05:50:55 pm »
from that pic i guess windows 7 is just the finished version of vista?

Offline [MAF]MrHess

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2009, 06:03:42 pm »
just like XP was the finished version of 2000

Offline [MAF]Aj_Lajk_Bir

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2009, 06:46:12 pm »
windows 95 is better

Offline [MAF]MrHess

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2009, 07:05:12 pm »
98 is the improoved version of 95 :P